COVID-19 Update for Hermitage Northern Virginia
Updated: Friday, August 6 | 8:00 a.m.
Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, the safety and well-being of our residents, team members, their families, visitors, and volunteers have been our paramount concern.
We have communicated openly, transparently, and worked diligently to educate all team members about COVID-19 and even conducted highly successful voluntary COVID-19 vaccine clinics. Following guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), Virginia Department of Health (VDH), and Virginia Department of Social Services, we have enforced masking mandates, maintained physical distancing requirements, and modified services as appropriate to our residents.
Because of this work, we have much to be proud of:
- We have been highly successful in limiting the transmission of COVID-19 when cases occurred.
- We have seen resident participation in the voluntary vaccine clinics at rates higher than 90 percent.
- Team member participation in the voluntary clinics is significantly above national senior living averages at approximately 77 percent today.
- Since completing our vaccine clinics, the number of COVID-19 cases in our communities has been remarkably low.
Sadly, our hard work and perseverance aren’t enough. As we watch the local and national news, we notice that the number of COVID-19 positive cases is on the rise. The new COVID-19 Delta variant is running rampant in many communities across the country, and we know of at least one senior living community in Virginia that has had a “COVID-19 breakthrough outbreak” even though their vaccine rates are similar to ours.
Pinnacle Living acknowledges the desire for personal choice, but we must face our responsibility to protect our communities as best we are able. What is clear is that COVID-19 vaccinations work and the consequences to our communities from resurging COVID-19 infections is life threatening. We have weighed individual preference with the safety of our residents, families, visitors, volunteers, and team members, and have come to the following conclusions:
- As of Monday, September 13, 2021, all team members and contractors must be fully vaccinated, with one of the available COVID-19 vaccines, as a condition of their continued employment, in accordance with our Infectious Disease, Vaccination, and Testing Requirements Policy previously distributed to and signed by all team members.
- All team members must wear disposable surgical masks or KN-95 masks in all public areas.
- Lastly, all visitors and volunteers must wear masks when in common areas in our communities.
Our Executive Directors and Health Services Teams will work with unvaccinated team members to secure COVID-19 vaccines so their employment with Pinnacle Living will not be impacted by this policy.
Hermitage Northern Virginia and Pinnacle Living have provided regular updates since the beginning of the COVID-19 Pandemic.